Buster's friend's Note:
Received via email - adapted from a Fresh Magazine by David & Theresa. Thanks flks! Putting this one in for the summer when crabs are plentiful & heavy. There are lots of myths surrounding souffles, but you'll be relieved to hear that they are, in fact, surprisingly resilient. Of course, you don't want to go around slamming oven doors, but simply follow a few golden rules and you ll master this perennially impressive dish: 1) Make sure you grease and coat the dishes well with the cheese as this prevents the mixture from sticking to the sides of the dish and helps to achieve a really good rise. 2) Fold in the whisked egg whites with a light, gentle hand and use a large metal spoon to retain as much air as possible. 3) In order to get the souffles cooking as soon as they go into the oven it is important to place them on a preheated baking tray. 4) Avoid opening the oven door for the first 15 mins of cooking. Simple!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pre-heat oven to 390°F Grease four small ramekin dishes with the.
- 2butter and sprinkle the grated Parmesan to coat the inside of the dishes well. Chill until ready to use.
- 3Place the milk, flour and butter in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, whisking continuously, until the mixture is smooth and thick. Cook for 2 minutes Remove from the heat, stir in the grated cheese and the mustard then leave to cool until just warm. Place a baking sheet in the oven to heat.
- 4Stir in the egg yolks, crab meat, parsley and a pinch of salt and mix well.
- 5In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until just stiff. Beat 1 tablespoon.
- 6of the whites into the crab mixture then carefully fold in the rest. Be.
- 7careful not to overwork the mixture. Divide between the greased ramekin.
- 8dishes, filing each one three-quarters full, then bake on the baking sheet for 16-18 mins until the souffles are well risen and golden but still a little wobbly in the center when gently shaken.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crab & Parsley Souffles
Serving Size: 1 (156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.8
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 157.1 mg
- Sodium 557.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 16.5 g