Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I was given this about 16 years ago from my friend who loved to cook. He was on the University Rugby Team so I guess real men do eat quiche.
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shells
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk or 1 1⁄2 cups light cream
- 1 teaspoon tarragon, use your discretion on this
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, Ican't have salt so I omit this
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup crabmeat or 1 cup cooked shrimp
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Partially bake crust for approximately 8 minutes on lowest rack in oven.
- Remove and turn temperature down to 350 degrees.
- Spread filling (over bottom of shell).
- Poor in the egg mixture and cook for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes prior to serving.
We had this for dinner tonight. I have 2 suggestions though and would cook the onion and capsicum (bell pepper) before adding to quiche. I used both tinned crab meat and some cooked prawns (shrimp) and about 1/4 teaspoon of tarragon. I also used low fat evaporated milk which is why I think it took an hour to cook. I used a 1/2 portion of my own recipe #177343 for the pie shell which I blind baked for 10 minutes and then a further 2 minutes but if using fat reduced evaporated milk would reduce this cooking time. Thank you Chef at Heart for the first quiche I have had without cheese and enjoyed. Made for Please Review My Recipe - a game of tag.