Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
SOURCE: KATHY STERLING . Kathy's family owned and operated a crab processing business on the eastern shore of Maryland. Cooking time include time in the freezer. Edit 04/18/09 I found out 2 days ago Kathy died of advanced breast cancer ( it had gone into her bones ). Ladies do not ignore the symptoms. If you make this recipe keep Kathy in mind as you do please. Kathy gave me this recipe in 1987.
- 4 English muffins, split with a fork
- 6 ounces crabmeat, drained (fresh or canned)
- 8 ounces Kraft Old English cheese spread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3⁄8 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Soften cheese and butter; mix all ingredients together.
- Spread mixture on muffin halves.
- Freeze at least 30 minutes.
- Bake at 325f until lightly browned or put under broiler until lightly browned.
- To serve as appetizers cut each muffin half into quarters.
6 friends and myself agreed these were wonderful. I am going to cut down on the butter next time. They were oozing butter.
I've been making this for over 20 years! You can use either crab or a well drained can of tiny shrimp with excellent results. I cook under the broiler, watching carefully. These stay frozen beautifully in zip lock bags so you can take out what you need for a late night snack. I use 6 english muffins and find I can spread enough on all 12 halves to make a tasty treat. I always cut into quarters after an initial freezing.