Recipe by Witch Doctor
Merliton = Vegetable Pear (Spanish Chayote) If you desire a casserole or if the Merlitons are too large, peel and dice the Merliton. Cook until tender, drain and combine with the meat mixture. Serve from the top of the stove or pour into a baking dish. Sprinkle with crumbs. Instead of ground meat, use leftover cooked meat (ground): sausage, ham, pork, shrimp or crab meat. This makes a delicious dish for a main course.
- 2 chayotes, medium size (Merlitons)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs (or cracker crumbs)
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef (or 1 cup)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut Merlitons in half lengthwise; cover with salted water in a pot with tight fitting lid.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cook until tender, approximately 30 minutes.
- Do not overcook.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- With a teaspoon, discard seed, scoop out pulp and set aside, leaving a ¼ inch shell.
- Place shell on a shallow greased baking dish.
- Cook meat and onion with seasoning until tender.
- Add water, if necessary and stir occasionally until lightly browned.
- Add Merliton pulp, cook 10 minutes longer; blend in the rice.
- Season again to taste.
- Fill shells with the mixture, sprinkle tops with crumbs, dot with butter.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes.