Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
If I want to REALLY impress, this is a party appetizer that always works! Need romance? Serve a couple with Filet Mignon for Surf-n-Turf - it doesn't get much better than this!
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- soft breadcrumbs, equal to a hamburger bun
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 lb lump crabmeat (best available)
- 1 lb med to large shrimp (Royal Reds are best)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Peel shrimp leaving tails and slice down middle deveining as you go.
- Lay on greased cookie sheet to form a circle with the tail pointing up.
- (Fan the tail out for beauty and handle) Mix first 7 ingredients and gently fold into crabmeat.
- Place a spoonful of crabmeat mixture on top of the circle.
- Top with fresh parmesan (optional) Place cookie sheet in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, remove with spatula to serving tray, Serve immediately.
- Also, try stuffing mushrooms which only take 10-15 minutes in the oven, same temp.
- To prepare for a party, prepare trays, cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator, then just place in oven when ready and serve in 15 minutes!
- Having medium shrimp saves money and makes more of a finger-food size.
- I've made extra and frozen some to be used as side dishes.
- If you can't get seafood where you live, you can order all supplies from a seafood place in Florida- Joe Patti's Seafood online.
- Even mid-westerners can enjoy a special fresh seafood treat.
This is not only a delicious recipe the presentation is fabulous! You have a lovely after flavor left in your mouth from the combination of ingredients. I arranged the prawns with their tails sitting up just as you suggested and it really made an attractive appetizer. I agree that medium prawns are best. I put on the parmesan cheese and it gave a golden finish. Next time I will arrange the prawns in circles of three, one person servings) and put a spoonful of crab in the center of each 3 group. I can not get fresh crab but I bought canned crab chunks - You need the chunks - I suppose you could use artificial but for this recipe I like REAL crab - This is a special appetizer for special people Thanks Laurita for an elegant, very delicious appetizer 5 star all the way
Fabulous appetizer!! This is so easy to prepare and makes for a beautiful presentation, my guests devoured them and asked for the recipe. The next time I make them, (and there WILL be a next time) I'm going to stuff both shrimp and mushrooms. Thank you so much Laurita, for sharing this recipe. :-)
This was kind of hard for me to make, lining them all up like that, but well worth the effort. It made a colorful, beautiful display and was raved by my guests. I froze some uncooked, so hopefully, the next time will be a quickie! Thanks for a very nice tasty treat.