Recipe by Witch Doctor
This recipe comes from a famous New Orleans restaurant but I don't remember which one! However, I remember the taste of the dish and have been trying to duplicate for years. This is very good!
Top Review by redwine
Made this with fresh crab meat and cut back on cheese amount due to fat content. Just topped with bread crumbs and the egg mixture. It was great and my DH agrees, I'll make this one again !!!
- 1 lb crabmeat, white (from body)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped (or scallions)
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 egg yolk, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 3⁄4 cup grated American cheese (or Cheddar)
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, extra for topping
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 dash paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy saucepan, over moderate heat, melt butter, add onions and celery.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until onions are soft and transparent but not brown.
- Stir in the flour, blend well.
- Add milk, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Add pepper, nutmeg, mustard and cheese.
- Take pot away from heat.
- Beat egg yolk and lemon juice.
- Then add crabmeat, mix well.
- Butter baking pan or individual baking dishes.
- Add onion/cheese mixture to baking pan.
- Pour egg mixture over all.
- Combine cheese and breadcrumbs, sprinkle over top of mixture, then add dash of paprika.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes until top is au gratin, brown and crusty.