Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is Smitha Dev's recipe from the Thursday magazine. I hope you enjoy it!
- 5 medium crab, pieces washed,cleaned,shell discarded and cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 6 sprigs fresh curry leaves, washed and torn
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 mashed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder, finely ground
- 1⁄2 cup coconut (extract thick milk from it)
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Toss in the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Allow to splutter.
- Once they stop spluttering, add the chopped onion.
- Stir-fry till it turns light brown in colour.
- Stir in the ginger and garlic pastes.
- Fry for a few seconds, stirring continuously.
- Mix in the mashed tomatoes.
- Cook until the mixture is more of a paste.
- Stir in all the masalas (spice powders) and cook for a few minutes.
- Fold in all the crab pcs.
- and mix well.
- Cover and cook on a simmer till the crab pcs.
- get cooked.
- Stir in the coconut milk extract and cook for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve hot with rice.