Recipe by KBellon
This recipe is my mom's....I just added the crab :) Normally I put bacon or sausage in it, but decided on crab this last time since we had some fresh dungeness crab around. It was an experiment with the crab and it turned out really good! I used whole-grain rotini pasta (listed in the recipe), but just about any pasta would do. Also, I like to add sea salt to the water while the pasta is cooking. Adds a little more to the pasta (tip from a friend).
- 1 1⁄2 cups dungeness crabmeat, leave as chunky as possible
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes (drained and each tomato quartered)
- 1 (13 1/4 ounce) box rotini pasta
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare pasta, set aside.
- In skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute.
- Whisk in flour (will get thick).
- Start whisking in milk in small amounts until the sauce has a gravy-like consistency.
- Stir in cheese (I used a three-cheese blend) until melted.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the tomatoes and crab meat.
- Add (cooked) pasta to sauce and transfer to a 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.