Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a recipe that is a favorite of many of us coastal Delaware natives. Our newly elected Vice -President, Joe Biden, has more than likely been served this when he came to political dinners. There are many varied crab imperial recipes, but this is one we enjoy. I hope you will try it and tell me what you think.
- 1 lb backfin jumbo lump crab meat
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (do NOT use low-fat)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped green peppers, sauteed
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento, drained
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (do NOT use low-fat)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- Gently go through the lump crab meat for any shell fragments. Set crab meat aside.
- Mix mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, salt and egg together until well blended.
- Fold in the sauteed peppers and drained pimentos.
- Very carefully, fold in the crab meat lumps until coated with mayonnaise mixture.
- Place in buttered casserole dish.
- Casserole Topping:.
- In small bowl, mix together the egg yolk and the mayonnaise.
- Now spoon on top of the casserole filled with crab mixture.
- Sprinkle the Old Bay seasoning on top.
- Bake 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until browned. May serve with lemon wedges.
Was looking for a different recipe to use crab meat with, so glad I found this one. I used canned crab meat but I will for sure be buying some lump crab meat real soon for this recipe, it was amazing! This recipe truly compliments the natural taste of crab and doesn't cover it up like other recipe's. Only wish this made more!!!
Wow! Since I am a New Jersey resident with fresh crab delicacies available "down the shore" less than 50 miles way. Finally a crab recipe to be created at home that is worthy of it's name: Crab Imperial. Bravo! I used lump crab meat, red bell pepper and I omitted the pimientos. Made for Spring 2009 PAC.
I made this ahead - I had an appointment. When I got home, popped it in the oven and 25 min later we were eating a restaurant quality dinner! Super easy. I omitted the green pepper and grated some Parmesan cheese over the top just before serving..I think this would be a great dinner for company.