Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
One of my favorite dishes to enjoy any time I have the opportunity to travel to the Tidewater area of Maryland.
- 1 lb fresh crabmeat, picked over for shells
- 2 large eggs, well beaten
- 10 saltine crackers, finely crushed
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (2 ounce) jar chopped pimiento
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Butter 8 individual custard dishes or ramekins.
- Set aside crabmeat. Combine next 10 ingredients (through mayonnaise)in medium bowl. Stir until well blended. Fold in crabmeat.
- Stir 6 tablespoons melted butter and bread crumbs together in small bowl.
- Spoon crab mixture into individual dishes. Top each with buttered crumbs. Sprinkle with small amount of paprika. Bake 12-15 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
On Christmas morning, I woke up sick as a dog. :( So picture 5 twenty-somethings running around the kitchen playing 'chef' while I supervised from my deathbed. (Well, that's a little melodramatic, I suppose. Actually, it was just the couch, but for a while there...) My youngest son's fiancee bravely volunteered to tackle your Crab Imperial and was absolutely amazed at how easy it was to prepare such an elegant dish. It drew rave reviews from a tough audience, and she was so proud! Besides being delicious, this is both impressive and highly 'doable' for cooking novices. Thanks for a great recipe that helped 'save the day', KathyP!
This was pretty good! Easy to put together, too. Very nice.
Excellent! Wonderful flavor ! My new favorite crab imperial recipe. The entire family raved over it. Easy-one bowl. A keeper