1/1 Photo of Crab Hash
1 hr 30 mins
Serve this as a satisfying main dish for lunch, brunch or even a hearty breakfast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces fully cooked crabmeat
- 1 lb large Red Bliss potatoes, unpeeled
- 2 ounces sliced bacon, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- coarse salt or sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- white vinegar, for poaching
- 4 -6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 scallions, sliced thin
- 1Remove any cartilage and shell from the crab meat.
- 2Cut the meat into chunks.
- 3Cover and refrigerate.
- 4Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water until thoroughly cooked, about 30 minutes.
- 5Drain and let cool.
- 6Cut the potatoes, with their skins, into ½-inch dice.
- 7Place in a mixing bowl.
- 8Cook the bacon in an 8- or 9-inch sauté pan over medium heat until browned and crisp.
- 9Remove the pan from the heat and, using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon from the pan, leaving the fat in the pan.
- 10Add the bacon to the potatoes.
- 11Return the sauté pan to the heat and add the onion and pepper.
- 12Turn up the heat and cook for 5 to 6 minutes until browned.
- 13Add the thyme and paprika, mix well and remove from the heat.
- 14Add the onion and pepper (including the fat) to the potatoes.
- 15Mix in the crab meat and season with salt and pepper.
- 16Mix very well, mashing the potato a bit so that the mixture sticks together.
- 17Divide the mixture into four 8-ounce portions and shape into 5-inch cakes.
- 18Refrigerate until ready to cook.
- 19Fill a deep pan with water for poaching the eggs.
- 20Lightly salt the water and add 1 tablespoon white vinegar for each cup of water.
- 21Bring to a boil, then lower the heat so that it barely simmers.
- 22Heat the oil in a well-seasoned 12- to 14-inch skillet over medium high heat.
- 23Cook the hash"cakes" (they should sizzle when you add them to the pan) for about 5 minutes until the sides are crisp and brown.
- 24Using a spatula, turn the cakes over.
- 25If they break when turning, don't worry; just use the spatula to reshape them in the pan.
- 26Meanwhile, break the eggs one at a time into a small bowl and slide each into the poaching liquid.
- 27Do this quickly so that all the eggs cook in about the same amount of time.
- 28It will take only 2 minutes for a loose poached egg: whites barely set and yolks runny.
- 29Center each hash cake on a medium plate and, using a slotted spoon, gently place a poached egg on top.
- 30Grind a bit of pepper over each egg and sprinkle the scallions over the entire dish.
- 31Serve at once.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crab Hash
Serving Size: 1 (307 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 407.4
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 244.9 mg
- Sodium 671.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 21.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: