Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A wonderful tasting and attractive hors d’oeuvre that can easily be made ahead of time, to be baked later. I sampled these at a friends art opening and had to have the recipe. Everyone was raving over how good they were and could not believe that she hadn't hired someone to make them.
- 3 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded (about 3/4 pound)
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 12 drops Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lb fresh crabmeat (canned crab meat can be used, but i recommend fresh crab)
- 48 medium button mushrooms
- cooking oil
- Combine cheese, breadcrumbs, salt, green onions and basil in a medium mixing bowl.
- Combine Tabasco sauce, wine, lemon juice, garlic and egg in a separate bowl. Add to the breadcrumb mixture; Add crab meat to bread crumb mixture and fold until blended; Refrigerate for at least an hour, or overnight.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400° degrees F.
- Remove mushroom stems out of the caps. Take a small handful of stuffing in your palm and mold into a round ball (wet hands will keep it from sticking). Place stuffing firmly inside the mushroom cap, being careful not to break the mushroom. Place stuffed mushrooms on an oiled cookie sheet about a half inch apart. (At this point, the mushrooms can be refrigerated and baked later).
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until the stuffing is lightly browned and serve. They can also be reheated if not served immediately.
These were a big hit at a recent party, and they went like hotcakes! I didn't have fresh crab, but the canned crab worked. They were still good, but I'll bet they'll be delicious with the fresh crab. Either way, a big hit!
The best stuffed mushrooms ever..fresh crab is a must, yummy!! I will definitely make again, thanks for the great recipe =-)
DH liked these a lot Also used the filling in a large portabella cap. I used an Italian cheese blend and added some mayo to the mixture, and melted some cheese on top too. Skipped the egg and the wine, and used canned lump crabmeat. Thanks!