Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
The crab mixture can be made one day in advance.
- 1⁄2 lb crabmeat, flaked and picked over (fresh or canned but not frozen)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 large celery rib, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1⁄3 cup fresh whole kernel corn, cooked 2 minutes in boiling water and drained (or use frozen whole kernel corn that has been thawed)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 8 slices sourdough bread (1/4-inch thick)
- 6 ounces monterey jack cheese, coarsely grated (or use cheddar for a sharper flavor)
- In a bowl, mix together the crab, mayonnaise, feta, celery, corn, curry, and pepper to taste; set aside (or can refrigerate the crab mixture for up to 1 day in advance; bring it to room temperature before using).
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place 4 slices on a work surface, buttered side down.
- Spread crab mixture evenly over the 4 slices, followed by the cheese.
- Place the remaining 4 bread slices on top, buttered side up.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat for 2 minutes; put the sandwiches in the skillet (in batches), cover, and cook 2 minutes or until the undersides are golden brown and the cheese has begun to melt.
- Uncover; turn sandwiches over with a spatula, pressing firmly to flatten them slightly.
- Cook for 1 minute, or until the undersides are golden brown.
- Turn the sandwiches again, press with the spatula, and cook 30 seconds, or until the cheese has melted completely.
- Let cook slightly before serving.