Recipe by BeachGirl
This was made for a large party and got rave reviews on taste & presentation. It could also be made with shrimp. Although I have not tried it this way, I believe the crab dip could be placed in cooked bread bowl, bread top placed on top,and all covered with foil and baked until hot.
Top Review by Rita~
I cut the recipe down alot.This has a nice kick to it. I served with crackers. I added very finely chopped shallots and red peppers. Used real bacon crumbled bits. This is a keeper.
- 3 lbs cream cheese, softened (some of cheese can be fat free or low-fat)
- 2 lbs backfin crab meat
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle Heinz Chili Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons horseradish (not horseradish sauce)
- 3 tablespoons oscar meyer bacon bits
- 1 cup toasted almond
BREAD BOWL can purchase Sourdough Boules
- 2 packages bread mix
- 2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- If you purchase bakery round bread, omit the next few steps.
- BREAD BOWL:Mix both bread mixes together according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Let rise until double in bulk.
- With non-stick cooking spray, spray the inside of a 9" or 1" springform pan.
- Knead dough and place in pan, pressing down as evenly flat as possible.
- Let rise 1 to 2 hours until dough reaches the top of the pan.
- Bake about 50-65 minutes at 350 degrees, until completely cooked.
- Run knife around edge of loaf, and let cool completely.
- Remove outer pan rim.
- Cut a thin top layer from the bread and remove most of the bread inside, leaving a"shell" of bread to form your bowl.
- Place bread on serving tray (large enough to hold crackers or bread cubes around it).
- DIP:In mixer, mix cream cheese with all other ingredients except chili sauce and crab.
- When well blended, add chili sauce and mix until blended.
- Gently stir in crab meat.
- Spoon into shallow baking dish and bake until warm in the center.
- Cool until not hot to the touch.
- Spoon crab dip into bread bowl on serving tray; sprinkle bacon and almonds on top, and surround with assorted crackers and a few sprigs of greenery for garnish.