This was made for a large party and got rave reviews on taste & presentation. It could also be made with shrimp. Although I have not tried it this way, I believe the crab dip could be placed in cooked bread bowl, bread top placed on top,and all covered with foil and baked until hot.
My Private Note
9to11 i ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs cream cheese, softened (some of cheese can be fat free or low-fat)
- 2 lbs backfin crab meat
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle Heinz Chili Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons horseradish (not horseradish sauce)
- 3 tablespoons oscar meyer bacon bits
- 1 cup toasted almond
BREAD BOWL can purchase Sourdough Boules
- 2 packages bread mix
- 2 cups water
- 1If you purchase bakery round bread, omit the next few steps.
- 2BREAD BOWL:Mix both bread mixes together according to manufacturer's instructions.
- 3Let rise until double in bulk.
- 4With non-stick cooking spray, spray the inside of a 9" or 1" springform pan.
- 5Knead dough and place in pan, pressing down as evenly flat as possible.
- 6Let rise 1 to 2 hours until dough reaches the top of the pan.
- 7Bake about 50-65 minutes at 350 degrees, until completely cooked.
- 8Run knife around edge of loaf, and let cool completely.
- 9Remove outer pan rim.
- 10Cut a thin top layer from the bread and remove most of the bread inside, leaving a"shell" of bread to form your bowl.
- 11Place bread on serving tray (large enough to hold crackers or bread cubes around it).
- 12DIP:In mixer, mix cream cheese with all other ingredients except chili sauce and crab.
- 13When well blended, add chili sauce and mix until blended.
- 14Gently stir in crab meat.
- 15Spoon into shallow baking dish and bake until warm in the center.
- 16Cool until not hot to the touch.
- 17Spoon crab dip into bread bowl on serving tray; sprinkle bacon and almonds on top, and surround with assorted crackers and a few sprigs of greenery for garnish.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crab Dip in a Bread Bowl
Serving Size: 1 (54 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 140.9
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 46.4 mg
- Sodium 190.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning