Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is one of my favorites!! It gets requested for every get together or party we go to! Easy, one dish and very tasty!! Make it up and pour it into a "bread bowl" and watch it disappear!! I like to have an assortment of crackers nearby to finish this up.
- 1 cup chopped imitation crabmeat
- 1 cup hellmans mayonnaise
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke (Hickory Flavoring)
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce or 1 tablespoon Frank's red hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 round crusty bread (boule, bowl-type bread)
- Mix all ingredients, except bread bowl, in a large ovenproof casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until all the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven.
- Cut center out of bread to form a bowl.
- Save the pieces to use for dipping.
- Place in oven for 10 to 15 minutes to"dry" the inside and make it hard.
- Meanwhile, remove any grease that has accumulated on the top of the dip.
- Remove the bread bowl from oven and place it on a sturdy platter.
- Pour the dip mixture into the bread bowl.
- Place chunks of bread from center that have already been removed around the base of the dip to use for dipping.
- Serve hot.
This didn't turn out as chunky as I expected. Next time, I will cut back on the mayo. I used hot sauce and it wasn't as spicy as I was expecting. This is something I would take to a small get together.
I really liked this, except, it was a bit heavy on the tobasco for most of my guests. So if you are concerned about possibly being to spicy for some, consider reducing the tobasco to a teaspoon.
very tasty! thanks