Prep 40 mins
Cook 12 mins
Another great appetizer that combines the flavor of crab & bacon. Yum Prep time includes the 30 minute chill time
- 340.19 g crabmeat, fresh or canned
- 78.07 ml fine soft bread crumbs
- 29.58 ml dry sherry
- 4.92 ml chopped chives
- 4.92 ml dried mustard
- 1.23 ml salt
- 10 slice bacon, cut into thirds
- Remove any shell or cartilage from crab meat and chop into small pieces.
- Combine all ingredients except bacon, mix thoroughly.
- Chill 30 minutes.
- Portion crab mixture with a tablespoon, shape into small rolls.
- Wrap bacon around crab rolls.
- Secure with toothpicks.
- Broil about 4 inches from heating element 6-7 minutes or until bacon is crisp Turn carefully, broil 4-5 minutes longer until bacon is crisp.
I first envisioned these as being round. I made them twice and the second time, I used a heaping tablespoon full of crab for each and rolled it compactly into little 'logs'. Then put the bacon (thinly sliced bacon) around the middle. I put them seam side down on the baking sheet for the first round in the oven and didn't need toothpicks. The other thing I learned after the first time, was to use a sherry that you like....not something labeled 'cooking sherry' or something else. It can make or break the recipe. The second time, for me, it made it. I used the pretty cocktail picks to spear them after they were finished cooking for decoration and function (to pick them up). Thanks Cher! We just picked up more crab to do it again! :)
Wow! It seems as though it wouldn't be a mystery, but these flavors surprised me with how awesome they were together! BF and I made this on a whim right after getting home from the store, and we were starving so we didn't allow for chill time. We ended up just kind of using the filling to make larger crab cakes, and we fried the bacon in whole strips around those. Sooo tasty!
I love crab, I used canned this time, none in the store here till November. The flavor is great and the simple ingredients make it easy to through together when company drops in! Will make again!