Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 lb backfin crab meat
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- In a large deep saucepan bring the milk to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the yellow corn meal, sugar, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Let the mixture return to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Stir often and continue to simmer for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted butter, and baking powder.
- Stir in the corn kernels.
- Add the milk-corn meal mixture and stir to combine. Gently fold in crab to avoid breaking up lumps.
- Pour the mixture into a well-buttered 2 1/2 quart souffle dish, casserole, or any other straight-sided baking dish.
- Bake on the center rack of a preheated 350-degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the pudding is lightly puffed, lightly browned, and a knife or straw inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve immediately.