I have not made this as yet, but am posting here to make so very soon. I have posted because I know of a few chefs here on zaar catching crabs at this moment... so might like this recipe!!!! Found in the Herald Sun -- this looks a fantastic recipe!
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup plain flour
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 coriander sprigs, stalks only roughly chopped, KEEP leaves for sauce
- 420 g sweet corn, drained
- 200 g fresh crabmeat
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- sunflower oil, for frying
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 2 small red chilies, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Place the egg, flour, garlic, coriander stalks (only stalks) and one-third of the corn in a food processor and process to a rough paste. Add remaining corn, crab and spring onion, then pulse briefly to just combine. Season well.
- For the dipping sauce, place sugar in a pan with rice wine vinegar and 1/4 cup of water, then stir over low heat until sugar dissolves and cool mixture slightly, then add fish sauce, sweet chilli sauce, fresh chilli and chopped coriander leaves. Set aside sauce for dipping.
- Half-fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan with oil and heat to 190C (a cube of bread will turn golden in 30 seconds when oil is hot enough).
- Working in batches, carefully drop heaped tablespoons of batter into the oil for each fritter. Fry fritters for 1-2 minutes until golden and crisp, turning whilst cooking. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Serve cakes immediately with dipping sauce.