Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Moist crab in a tangy Tabasco-spiked sauce makes this fabulous fishy cocktail a simple but stylish appetizer.
- 1 lb white crab meat
- 8 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 dash lemon juice (1 squeeze)
- 1 teaspoon tarragon, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 little gem lettuce
- Pick over the crabmeat and discard any bits of shell.
- Mix the mayonnaise with the ketchup, Tabasco, mustard, lemon juice, and tarragon.
- Stir in the crab and spring onions. Taste and play around with the balance of flavourings until you get a perfect balance (but hold back - too much tasting will leave your guests with woefully diminished portions!).
- This can be mixed together an hour or two before serving, but bring back to room temperature before assembling the finished cocktail and serving.
- Remove the outer leaves of the Little Gem lettuces and shred the rest thinly. Place in a plastic bag and leave in the fridge until almost ready to serve.
- Take 4-6 sundae glasses or old-fashioned champagne glasses. Divide the lettuce between the glasses and top with the crab cocktail. Serve straight away.
Made just as stated but must admit that I used fake crab since we do not eat shellfish. Served the salad on soft buns with a little iceberg salad. Great! Thanks for posting.