Recipe by quantumgirl
Unlike the one-person Cobb salads at restaurants, here everyone serves him/herself from one big beautiful bowl (though you can of course arrange individual salads, if you prefer). The crab, bacon and avocado make a fantastic combination, the carrots are a colorful, light alternative to shredded cheese, and the caramelized pecans are to-die-for, especially with the blue cheese. YUM! Serves 4 as main dish, 6 as side salad.
- 1 3⁄4 cups pecan halves
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bag pre-washed salad greens (I used half a bag of romaine and half a bag of “spring greens”)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 slices hickory smoked bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced seeded fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 2 large avocados, peeled,pitted and diced
- 3⁄4 lemon, juice of, divided
- garlic salt, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups lump crabmeat or 1 1⁄2 cups imitation crabmeat (or a combination)
- 2 -3 ounces crumbled gorgonzola or 2 -3 ounces blue cheese
- ranch dressing
Directions See How It's Made
- Make caramelized pecans (see directions below), cook bacon and drain and crumble, and prepare vegetables.
- Squeeze juice of half a lemon onto avocado pieces, sprinkle them with garlic salt, and stir gently to coat.
- Squeeze remaining lemon juice onto crab.
- Place salad greens in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss gently.
- Arrange toppings in triangle or pie-wedge shaped areas on top of salad in the following order clockwise: crab (at 12 oclock), avocado, bacon, carrot, gorgonzola, pecans (1 to 1 ½ cup), tomato.
- Serve from the middle outward, grabbing lettuce from underneath and taking bits from the various toppings.
- Pass ranch dressing.
- Caramelized Pecans: Place pecans and sugar in large metal skillet.
- Sprinkle with salt, cayenne and garlic powder.
- Cook on medium-low, stirring constantly, until sugar begins to melt and stick to the bottom of the pan, about 4-6 minutes.
- Continue stirring one minute, then lower heat to low and continue stirring constantly until sugar liquefies and the pecans are fully coated, about 3-5 more minutes.
- Remove immediately from heat and spread to cool on foil sprayed with cooking spray.
- When cool, separate gently.
- Note: This makes a bit more than youll need for the salad to provide for the munch factor!