Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Marsha Dean Phelts' "The American Beach Cookbook". No idea why they are called chops, but this sounds like a delicious dish to impress. Note the 4 hour refrigeration time. Times are a guess-timate.
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined, butterflied, tails intact
- 1 lemon, juice of, divided
- 1 lb crab claw meat
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄4 ounces crab cake classic Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise, approximately
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or 1 cup seafood batter frying mix
- oil (for frying)
- Sprinkle a little salt over the cleaned shrimp, then squeeze the juice of a half lemon over and refrigerate while preparing crab coating mixture.
- Place the claw crabmeat in a mixing bowl.
- Squeeze the rest of the lemon juice and the Worcestershire sauce over the claw meat.
- Sprinkle seasoning mix over the crabmeat, then add mayonnaise and stir carefully.
- Encase each shrimp in the crabmeat mixture, using no more than 2 tablespoons for each (do not cover the tail).
- Place shrimp in a single layer in an airtight container and refrigerate at least 4 hours, preferably overnight to set.
- When ready to cook, coat each shrimp chop in flour or seafood mix.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees and fry chops until golden.