Recipe by Mike McCartney
A variation on the cream of crab soup that is served at the local culinary school.
- 600 g onions
- 200 g carrots
- 300 g celery ribs
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 1 cup flour
- 2 quarts water
- 1⁄2 cup crab base
- 2 tablespoons chicken base
- 32 ounces potatoes, cubed (about 3/8-inch)
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 quarts heavy cream
- 2 lbs crabmeat
- 3 (15 ounce) cans creamed corn
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop onions, carrots, and celery fine in food processor.
- Melt butter in a heavy stock pot and add chopped vegetables.
- Sweat for 15 minutes.
- Add flour, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add water, Crab base, chicken base, cubed potatoes, garlic, and thyme.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cream, crab meat, and creamed corn.
- Heat for 30 minutes, but do not let it boil.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Note: The crab base can be purchased from Soupbase.Com (of which I have no affiliation).