Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
a very flavorful chowder for a cool night. This I got last year while visiting a relative in Florida.
- 2 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 red sweet bell pepper, julienned
- 2 celery ribs, diagonally sliced
- 1 medium potato, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 (10 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups milk
- 2 (6 ounce) cans crabmeat, divided, picked
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, cut up
- Place zucchini, bell pepper, celery, potato, butter, broth, and seasoned salt in slow cooker.
- Stir cornstarch into milk, stir and pour into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Turn heat to high, add crabmeat and cream cheese and stir until cream cheese melts.
A very tasty crab chowder though I admit I did make a few adjustments to meet our taste preferences. I used all the listed vegetables and added a diced onion, four cloves of minced garlic and two sliced leeks. I kept the proportion of liquid the same - as I like my soups thicker rather than thinner - used all the stock specified, but used only 1 cup of low-fat milk, and in place of the other two cups of milk, I used 1 cup of plain yogurt and 1 cup white wine. (I like to squeeze wine into soup recipes if I can find the space for it!) I also used only one tablespoon of melted butter and if I make this again - which is highly likely - I think I'll cut the butter back even more. Not that I don't love butter; just that I try not using it where I know we won't really miss it. Guided by the Zaar Kitchen Dictionary, I added some slivered almonds just before serving. Yummy! Thanks for sharing this recipe, weekend cooker. You do need to adjust the cooking time at the beginning of the recipe: it currently reads as 13 minutes but in the directions this is clearly stated as being a slow-cooker recipe! Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders.
Really easy to make, i did it on the stove for only a couple of hours rather that in the slow cooker. Next time i think ill add a tin of salmon and a few shrimp in addition to the crab, the sea food flavor was too mild for my taste buds...good recipe.