Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
From "How to Cook Crabs", test kitchen series #10, Fish and Wildlife service, c1957
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green peppers, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- Remove any shell or cartilage from crab meat.
- Cook celery and green pepper in butter until tender.
- Blend in flour.
- Add milk gradually and cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- Stir a little of the hot sauce into egg yolk; add to remaining sauce, stirring constantly.
- Add lemon juice, seasonings and crab meat.
- Place in well greased 1 quart casserole.
- Combine butter and crumbs; sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake in moderate oven, 350F for 20-25 minutes or until brown.
This sounded so good to me I just had to make it. I wasn't disappointed either. It was Great! Thanks Wendy