Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Shellfish and fruit have a natural affinity. Substitute surimi or cooked shrimp for the crab, and honeydew or papaya for the cantaloupe, and dry-roasted peanuts for the cashews. It's all good! From "Jane Brody's Good Seafood Book", 1994. Makes 4 to 6 main course servings, or 8 to 10 appetizers.
- 1 lb crabmeat, broken into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium cantaloupe, cut in half and seeded
- 1 cup diced celery (or sliced )
- 1⁄2 cup sliced scallion, including some green tops
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped cashews, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder (can include some hot)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots or 2 tablespoons mild onions
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (or fresh lemon juice)
- Place the crab met in a large bowl and remove any bits of shell or cartilage.
- Scoop out the cantaloupe flesh with the small end of a melon baller, or cut the melon flesh into 1/2 inch cubes. Add it to the crab meat along with the remaining salad ingredients EXCEPT the cashews. Chill the mixture.
- Put all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Shortly before serving time, add the cashews and dressing to the salad, then toss gently to combine all ingredients.