Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This sounds like a wonderful special occasion or "wow your guests" dish. These cannelloni are filled with crabmeat and rich cheese. Keep in mind that this dish has 14 servings. Recipe comes from "Take the Tour" cookbook - St. Paul's Episcopal Church - North Carolina. **You can substitute 3 cups cooked chicken for the crabmeat**
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cannelloni tubes, shells
- 3⁄4 cup butter, divided (plus 1 tbsp. butter)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 lb fresh lump crabmeat, drained
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cook cannelloni according to package directions; drain. Toss pasta with 1 tablespoons butter; set aside.
- Melt remaining 3/4 cup butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in nutmeg. Set aside half of the sauce.
- Add egg yolks to remaining sauce, stirring well. Stir in crabmeat, mozzarella cheese, salt and pepper. Stuff each cannelloni shell with an equal amount of crab mixture; place stuffed shells in two lightly greased 13x9x2 inch baking dishes.
- Add tomato paste and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese to reserved sauce and spoon over shells.
- Cook mushrooms and sage in 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally. Spoon mushrooms over sauce and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees F. for 20 minutes.