- 12 ounces cooked crabmeat, picked over
- 1⁄4 cup minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced red bell peppers
- 1 large egg white, whisked till frothy
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black sesame seeds or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons regular sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 3⁄4 cup fresh sourdough breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons minced red peppers
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds or 1 teaspoon regular sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated seeded peeled cucumber
- 4 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- For cakes: Mix first 8 ingredients in large bowl.
- Mix in enough breadcrumbs to form stiff mixture.
- Shape mixture into sixteen ¼-inch-thick patties.
- (Can be prepared ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- For sauce: Combine rice vinegar, sugar, lime juice, water, red pepper, garlic and sesame seeds in small bowl; stir until sugar dissolves.
- Mix in cucumber.
- Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature to allow flavours to blend.
- Preheat oven to 250°F Melt 1 tblsp butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Working in batches, add crab cakes and cook until golden, about 4 minutes per side, adding more butter to skillet as necessary.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Transfer to baking sheet; keep warm in oven.
- Divide crab cakes among 8 plates.
- Spoon sauce around cakes.