1/1 Photo of Crab Cakes With Shrimp Sauce (British Virgin Islands)
This recipe was featured on week 37 of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook one meal from every nation on Earth, and the British Virgin Islands is my 37th stop. Unless otherwise noted, my Travel by Stove recipes are taken from authentic or traditional sources, and this recipe has been posted without any alternations or additions to the ingredients. This recipe originally appeared in The Sugar Mill Caribbean Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the fish sauce
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 56.69 g raw shrimp, deveined, shells removed and reserved
- 7.39 ml vegetable oil
- 2.46 ml paprika
- 29.58 ml dry sherry
- 29.58 ml heavy cream
- salt and pepper
For the crab cakes
- 1Finely mince the shrimp and set aside, reserving the.
- 2Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, then saute the shrimp shells with the garlic and shallots.
- 3When the shells turn pink, add the paprika and the sherry. Continue to cook until the sherry has reduced by half (this won't take very long).
- 4Strain the mixture, and return the liquid to the pan. Add the diced shrimp and the heavy cream. Keep cooking until the sauce thickens (it should coat the back of your spoon). Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- 5Put the breadcrumbs and crab meat into a medium sized bowl and set aside. With your mixer, beat the egg whites until you get stiff peaks, then fold into the crab mixture.
- 6Gently add the peppers, yolks, Caribbean seasoning, Worcestershire and Tabasco sauces.
- 7Form the crab mixture into small cakes (you should get six to eight from this recipe) and dust with flour.
- 8Fry in the remaining 1 tbsp butter. When they are golden brown, flip and continue to fry until the other side is also golden brown.
- 9To serve, pour the shrimp sauce over.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crab Cakes With Shrimp Sauce (British Virgin Islands)
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.5
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 114.0 mg
- Sodium 220.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cooked crab meat