Recipe by Abby Girl
These crab cakes are a bit of work....but they are worth every bite. I had leftovers for lunch the next day and they still were excellent. I used Panko japanese breadcrums as these gave the cakes a bit of a crunch. The recipe can be cut in half
Red Chili Mayonnaise
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh jalapeno chilies (seeded and chopped)
- 1 lb crabmeat, coarsely chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 5 cups breadcrumbs (made from crustless French bread)
Directions See How It's Made
- Red Chili Mayonnaise: Mix mayonnaise, chili-garlic sauce, and 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice in small bowl. Cover and refrigerate chili mayonnaise.
- Crab Cakes: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, celery, onion, and jalapeno; sauté 3 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
- Mix in crab, egg, 1/2 cup chili mayonnaise, and remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice, then 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs. Form crab mixture into eight 1/2-inch-thick cakes, using 1/2 cup for each. (Note: be careful not to add too much liquid to the cakes or they won't come together).
- Dredge cakes in remaining 3 1/2 cups breadcrumbs, turning to coat. Place on baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, add crab cakes and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer to plates. Serve, passing remaining chili mayonnaise separately.
- Note: I don't normally enjoy fried foods so I bake for about 15-20 mins in 400 degree oven then broil each side for about 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Leftovers (if any) make great sandwiches with whole wheat english muffins.