Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
Straight forward, savory first course with elegant results. Easy and tasty. Works well as a first course served with Vevue Clicquot Champagne. From Bon Appetit January 2004.
- 2 cups tomatoes (plum tomatoes)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, fresh
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup breadcrumbs, fresh made from fresh French bread
- 1 1⁄2 lbs crabmeat, fresh and picked over
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1⁄4 cup white wine, dry
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup butter, chilled, unsalted, cut into 1-inch pieces (2 sticks)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- For Salsa:.
- Mix all ingredients in bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover and chill.).
- For Crab Cakes: Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add bell peppers, onion, and garlic; saute until tender about 3 minutes.
- Mix Worcestershire sauce , cayenne, and then breadcrumbs.
- Saute 2 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat. Mix in crabmeat and green onions.
- Season with salt and pepper; mix in eggs.
- Using about 1/3 cup for each, shape mixture into 16 3/4" crab cakes.
- Arrange on baking sheet.
- Lemon Butter: Mix first 4 ingredients in medium skillet.
- Boil over medium heat until reduced to glaze, about 2 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Add 1 cup butter, 1 piece at a time, whisking until melted before adding next piece (occasionally remove from heat to prevent boiling).
- Whisk in cream; season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.).
- Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in each of 2 heavy large skilets over medium heat.
- Add half of crab cakes to each skillet.
- Saute until cooked through and golden, about 5 minutes per side.
- Rewarm lemon butter over low heat, whisking often (do not boil). Divide among 8 plates. Arrange 2 crab ccakes on each plate. Top with salsa.