Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
These are the best crab cakes I have ever had! You have to use the freshest crabmeat. Everyone raves about these crab cakes The lemon juice and zest give these cakes a fresh, light taste.. I hope you enjoy them. The Herbed Mayonnaise is recipe#
- nonstick vegetable cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup minced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 lb fresh crabmeat, picked over for shells
- 4 cups fresh breadcrumbs made from crustless French bread
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten to blend
- basil sprig (to garnish)
- Spray 2 baking sheets with nonstick spray.
- Mix green onions, celery mayo, tarragon, Old Bay, Dijon, lemon juice and peel.
- Add in crabmeat, then 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs.
- Stir in egg yolks.
- Place 2 1/2 cups breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl.
- Using 1 tablespoon for each cake, shape crab mixture into 1-inch diameter patties. Coat each patty with breadcrumbs: arrange on baking sheet.
- Chill at least one hour. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover, keep chilled.).
- Preheat broiler. Working with one sheet at a time, broil crabcakes 4 to 5 inches from heat source until golden brown and cooked through (watch carefully to prevent burning), about 4 minutes per side.
- Arrange on a platter. Top each cake with a dollop of herbed mayonnaise. Garnish with basil sprigs if desired.
Followed your recipe exactly just to see if the cakes would end up kinda dry, & am happy to say they worked great for me! GREAT TASTING & VERY SATISFYING! Thanks much for posting a great keeper of a recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed as a PRESSIE in the Aus/NZ 12 Days of Christmas Recipe Swap]
This bite-size, finger-food appy has excellent flavor & is both low-cal & low-fat because the crab cakes are baked vs fried. I made a half recipe & my yield was 16 cakes using well-rounded tbsps of the crab mix. My only prob was the texture of the crab mix ~ it was *very* dry after using only 2/3 of the amt of breadcrumbs, so I stopped there & also used the egg white to add more moisture. My chgs kept the cakes intact during cooking & they did not dry out as I had feared. These were very tasty w/your Herbed Mayonnaise. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us.