Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are sooo good! I made these for a dinner party this past weekend and couldn't believe how easy they were to make! I made crab cakes before and they usually fall apart...these stay together really well and they taste better than any restaurant's! Recipe is from Hotel Hana-Maui in Maui, Hawaii.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup sake
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice (I thought the sauce was a little tart, so you might want to add a little less and taste as you go)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs (I used Panko and it worked great!)
- 8 ounces fresh crabmeat, picked over
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- For Sauce: Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add shallots and garlic and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add chili garlic sauce and stir 1 minute.
- Add cream, sake and lime juice.
- Simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, about 7 minutes.
- For Crab Cakes: Mix first 4 ingredients in medium bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk egg and 2 tablespoons water in small bowl.
- Stir 2 tablespoons egg mixture into crab mixture (mixture will be dry).
- Discard remaining egg mixture.
- Form crab mixture into four 2 1/2- to 3-inch round patties, using about 1/2 cupful for each.
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add crab cakes and saute until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer to plates.
- Drizzle sauce over and serve.
i found the crab cakes to be very dry and the mixture was falling apart so i had to add the rest of the egg and then another plus another 2 tbs of water and this helped to keep the shape. The tasted very dry so i must of used the wrong bread crumbs. The sauce was great i added more lime and more chilli