Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is on the box of Kellogg's Corn Flake Crumbs. The mayonnaise is much better if made the day before making crab cakes. The crab cakes are moist and crisp.
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (I use fat free salad dressing.)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 6 -8 drops red hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups corn flake crumbs
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 1⁄4 cup diced green pepper
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise or 3 tablespoons fat-free salad dressing
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon red hot pepper sauce
- 1 egg (I use egg substitute.)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Mix the ingredients for the mayonnaise and set aside.
- If making day before, refrigerate until ready to use.
- Mix 1 cup of the corn flake crumbs with remainder of ingredients for crab cakes.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and form into cakes.
- Place the remaining crumbs in shallow dish and dip cakes into crumbs turning to coat.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in heavy skillet and saute crab cakes until browned and cooked through about 4 to 5 minutes per side turning once.
- Add additional oil as needed to keep the crab cakes from sticking.
- Serve topped with the cilantro mayonnaise.
I love this recipe! I've made it twice now; once with crab and last night with canned tuna. The cakes are moist inside and nice and crunchy outside. I did add some Old Bay, chopped celery, hot sauce, and lemon juice to the cake mixture. YUM! This couldn't be easier, and is great for those nights when you just aren't in the mood to cook.
The crab cakes & cilantro mayo were both easy-to-fix w/flavors that complimented eachother very well. I made a half recipe for 2 of us into 4 lrg "cakes", added Old Bay as I always do for crab & shrimp recipes & had to use dried cilantro. The crab mixture seemed drier than I expected it to be, but the cakes formed easily, held together well & cooked to a nice exterior crunch while staying moist & flavorful inside. I esp liked that nothing got in the way of the lovely crab flavor here. Made for Fall PAC 2007 & thx for sharing this recipe w/us.
We served these tonight to close friends and they loved them. I used the box of Cornflake Crumbs (first time)and loved the orange color of the crumbs that turned an appetizing dark brownish red when cooked. I won't go back to regular bread crumbs! I recommend the purchased crumbs, since I don't know if I could duplicate them with the cereal. These crumbs were super finely ground. I prefer red peppers in my cakes (find them sweeter),green onions and fresh dill instead of cilantro, sprinkle of Caribbean seasoning, and used combination of clarified butter and veg. oil. I made these in advance and kept on platter covered with foil in oven. We have one leftover crab cake, which my husband and I will fight over tomorrow! Roxygirl