Recipe by adiadv1
Green onion potato chips instead of bread crumbs? Yes! They fry up to a nice, crunchy golden brown. Many brands are gluten free, which is critical for me. If you like crab cakes without a lot of filler, I recommend trying this recipe. I also highly recommend using a cast iron skillet for frying them. My husband deemed these the best crab cakes he'd ever eaten, and said he'd also love to try them on a potato roll with lettuce, tomato and the dipping sauce. A great, quick and easy side dish that also cooks in about 8-10 minutes is fresh asparagus sauteed in olive oil with chopped garlic, then drizzled with lemon juice and kosher salt just before it's done cooking.
- 8 ounces lump crabmeat, shells picked out
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely crushed green onion flavor potato chips (I use Mikesell's brand)
- 1⁄4 cup real mayonnaise (do not substitute)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- unsalted butter (for frying, approx. 2-4 tablespoons)
- 1 lemon, cut in half (other half is for the dipping sauce)
Aioli Dipping Sauce
- 1 fresh garlic clove
- 1⁄2 cup real mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons horseradish mustard (I use Grey Poupon Horseradish Mustard)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 dash kosher salt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mini chopper, finely crush the potato chips.
- In a med. size bowl, mix together mayonnaise, Old Bay, white pepper, worcestershire sauce, and dry mustard until creamy.
- Add the crab meat and mix evenly but gently so as not to break up the clumps of crab too much. Clumps of crab are a good thing!
- Gently stir in 1/4 cup crushed potato chips.
- Form the mixture into 4 patties and coat with remaining potato chip crumbs.
- Melt about 2 tablespoons unsalted butter over medium heat. Add more butter if needed.
- When the butter starts to sizzle, gently place the crab cakes into the pan (they're delicate).
- Sprinkle with a little kosher salt if desired and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Carefully flip the patties, and drizzle with lemon juice from 1/2 of the lemon. Cook for 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Dipping Sauce: Place all ingredients in mini chopper and push the button. That's it! Make it ahead of time if desired and refrigerate.