Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Crab Cakes With a Creamy Grainy Mustard Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 7 slices white bread
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄2 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 lb fresh lump crabmeat
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat a small saute pan over med-high heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil; add in onions and garlic; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the grainy mustard, chicken stock, and cream; bring to a simmer; cook until thick, 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the sauce off and reheat it when you’re ready to serve (if it thickens up too much, add a splash more of chicken stock to loosen it up).
- Place the bread in a food processor; use the pulse button to break it up, then process and make fine bread crumbs.
- In a bowl, combine the mayo, scallions, parsley, hot sauce, red bell peppers, salt, and pepper; gently run you fingers through the crab meat, feeling for any shells or cartilage while trying not to break up the meat too much.
- Add the crab meat to the mayonnaise mixture with ¼ of the bread crumbs and gently fold the mixture to combine.
- Place the remaining bread crumbs on a plate; divide the crab mixture into 4 equal portions.
- Transfer the 4 crab portions to the plate with the bread crumbs and coat each one, gently pressing to adhere the bread crumbs and forming 1- to 1 ½-inch thick cakes.
- Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium heat with the remaining olive oil and the butter.
- Once the butter melts, add the crab cakes and cook for about 4 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown and heated through.
- Divide the sauce between 2 plates, top with the crab cakes, and serve.