Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I made these for my hubby who loves crab cakes. He said these are the best he has ever had. I got the recipe out of my Betty Crocker Cookbook. You can make these OAMC by making the patties, bread with crumbs, place several in a freezer bag with parchment paper in between each patty and freeze. Thaw in refrigerator overnight and cook in oil as directed. These take less than a 1/2 hour from beginning to end. Hope you enjoy.
- 78.07 ml mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 295.73 ml soft breadcrumbs
- 4.92 ml ground mustard
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml ground red pepper (cayenne, if desired)
- 0.59 ml pepper
- 29.58 ml green onions, chopped
- 510.29 g crabmeat, flaked
- 59.14 ml dry breadcrumbs
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- In medium bowl, mix mayo and egg with wire whisk. Stir in remaining ingred. except oil and dry bread crumbs. Shape mixture into 6 patties (mixture will be moist). Coat each patty with dry bread crumbs.
- In nonstick skillet, heat oil over med heat. Cook patties in oil about 10 minutes, gently turning once, until golden brown and hot in center.
- Reduce heat if crab cakes begin to brown too quickly.
Upon the recommendation of NorthwestGal, we tried these last night and they are indeed some of the best crab cakes I've ever eaten. I must confess at this point that I used two cans of minced clams but stuck to the rest of the recipe as written. I promise next time to use fresh crab and can at this point only imagine the taste using fresh seafood. I find it easier to prepare the mixture early and let it chill well to make shaping the cakes easier. I used homemade panko to coat the cakes, too: Homemade Panko Bread Crumbs. Made eight small cakes and served with lemon wedges and a garnish of fresh parsley to accompany baked brown rice, tossed salad and Japanese-Style Sesame Green Beans. Reviewed for Best of 2010.
By far, this is the very best crab cake recipe I have ever made or eaten. The mustard, ground red pepper, and green onions really brought a zest to this recipe that I have not found in other homemade crab recipes that I've tried in the past. Thanks for sharing your recipe, quick meal. I will certainly make this often, especially since DH loves crab cakes. Made for Spring 2010 Pick-A-Chef.
I thought that these were lovely and my family agreed. Husband, 7 year and 1 year old all cleaned their plates! That's a winner in my book!