Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I made these for my hubby who loves crab cakes. He said these are the best he has ever had. I got the recipe out of my Betty Crocker Cookbook. You can make these OAMC by making the patties, bread with crumbs, place several in a freezer bag with parchment paper in between each patty and freeze. Thaw in refrigerator overnight and cook in oil as directed. These take less than a 1/2 hour from beginning to end. Hope you enjoy.
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne, if desired)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 18 ounces crabmeat, flaked
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In medium bowl, mix mayo and egg with wire whisk. Stir in remaining ingred. except oil and dry bread crumbs. Shape mixture into 6 patties (mixture will be moist). Coat each patty with dry bread crumbs.
- In nonstick skillet, heat oil over med heat. Cook patties in oil about 10 minutes, gently turning once, until golden brown and hot in center.
- Reduce heat if crab cakes begin to brown too quickly.
I thought that these were lovely and my family agreed. Husband, 7 year and 1 year old all cleaned their plates! That's a winner in my book!
Upon the recommendation of NorthwestGal, we tried these last night and they are indeed some of the best crab cakes I've ever eaten. I must confess at this point that I used two cans of minced clams but stuck to the rest of the recipe as written. I promise next time to use fresh crab and can at this point only imagine the taste using fresh seafood. I find it easier to prepare the mixture early and let it chill well to make shaping the cakes easier. I used homemade panko to coat the cakes, too: Homemade Panko Bread Crumbs. Made eight small cakes and served with lemon wedges and a garnish of fresh parsley to accompany baked brown rice, tossed salad and Japanese-Style Sesame Green Beans. Reviewed for Best of 2010.
By far, this is the very best crab cake recipe I have ever made or eaten. The mustard, ground red pepper, and green onions really brought a zest to this recipe that I have not found in other homemade crab recipes that I've tried in the past. Thanks for sharing your recipe, quick meal. I will certainly make this often, especially since DH loves crab cakes. Made for Spring 2010 Pick-A-Chef.