Specialty Recipe from Sault Falls Inn, Braman-Equinunk, PA. Interesting twist on a benedict.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 pre-made crab cakes (prepared according to package's instructions)
- 4 fresh eggs
- 1Prepare Hollandaise Sauce:
- 2In the bottom of a double boiler, bring water to a boil and then reduce the heat to keep it just below the simmering point.
- 3In the top of the double boiler, add egg yolks and 1 tablespoon cold water.
- 4With a whisk, beat the egg yolks and combine them with water.
- 5Continue to whisk until they are creamy.
- 6Add a handful of chilled butter cubes to the pan and whisk until the butter is absorbed into the egg mixture.
- 7Add remaining cubes, a few at a time until all the butter is absorbed into the mixture.
- 8Continue whisking the sauce until the sauce is thick and creamy, about 10 minutes.
- 9Season to taste with white pepper, pinch of cayenne and salt.
- 10Finish off the sauce with a few drops of fresh lemon juice.
- 11Keep warm over double boiled until ready to use.
- 12Poach Eggs:
- 13In a shallow saute pan, bring 2 to 3 inches of lightly salted water to a boil.
- 14Turn off the heat and add the eggs at once (break the eggs directly into the water to minimize spreading.)
- 15Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid in order to retain heat.
- 16Allow the eggs to cook undisturbed for about three minutes.
- 17Then lift off the lid.
- 18When the whites are opaque and the yolks are covered with a thin translucent layer of white, the eggs are ready.
- 19Lift out of water onto a damp kitchen towel and trim ragged edges.
- 20To Assemble:
- 21Place one heated, cooked, crab cake on plate.
- 22Place one poached egg on top.
- 23Spoon Hollandaise Sauce over top and sprinkle with fresh or dried tarragon.
- 24Serve immediately!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crab Cakes Benedict
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 608.9
- Calories from Fat 525
- Total Fat 58.3 g
- Saturated Fat 32.7 g
- Cholesterol 522.6 mg
- Sodium 680.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 20.7 g