Recipe by pwdcrazy
This recipe is my modified version of Paula Dean's crab cakes.
Top Review by Bayhill
These crab cakes made a yummy, quick and easy light lunch. I made them as written, using 1/2 tsp. hot sauce, which gave them a little zing without being too spicy. We liked the added cayenne pepper in the bread crumb coating. Next time, I might add a little extra bread crumbs to the crab cake mixture to stiffen it some, as they were very soft and wanted to fall apart. I served these topped with a squeeze of lemon and with tartar sauce. *Made for Fall 2009 PAC*
- 1 lb crabmeat, picked free of shells
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs, divided
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄8 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄8 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon horseradish, drained
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- hot sauce
- cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion, garlic, and bell pepper until tender, and cool slightly.
- Mix 1/3 cup bread crumbs, mayonnaise, sour cream, egg, Worchestershire sauce, mustard, lemon juice, horseradish, hot sauce, salt and pepper together in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in sauted onion mixture, and crab meat, combining carefully.
- Form into 5 cakes (1/2 cup measuring cup works well).
- Combine remaining bread crumbs and cayenne pepper on a plate, and carefully coat crab cakes with mixture.
- Saute cakes in non-stick pan coated with oil until golden brown, turning once.
- Serve with favorite dipping sauce.