Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great for parties
- 8 ounces crabmeat
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 jalapeno, diced
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs (I use panko)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix everything except the egg in a bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings and then add the egg when satisfied. Shape filling into 2 inch crabcakes. Roll the cakes in bread crumbs and then refrigerate for about an hour to firm up.
- Heat 1/4 cup of canola oil in a shallow pan and cook cakes for about 3 minutes per side, try to turn them only one time. Serve with your favorite tartar sauce or aioli.
These were soo good! I also found them difficult to work with, even after about 40 minutes in the fridge and 20 in the freezer. However, as long as you are are either very good with a spatula or prepared to eat crab cakes that look less than perfect, you will not be disappointed because they taste absolutely amazing!
I tried "rolling them in bread crumbs", which just made a mess. So I ended up plopping the shaped cake in a pile of bread crumbs and then sprinkling the top with another batch of crumbs, resulting in a mostly bread crumb covered cake and far fewer casualties.
I can't believe these haven't been tried and reviewed before now. They are GREAT crab cakes! The mixture was quite wet and difficult to work with, but at the same time maybe my lemon was large and I just put too much of the juice in. Either way, these are fabulous! I got 6 cakes out of the mixture but very easily could have made 16 appetizer sized cakes. This recipe is a keeper all in all, so much flavor! Made for Bargain Basement tag game, and will make these again and again. Thanks for sharing swirly!