Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
In response to a recipe request. Found this recipe in Gourmet Magazine
Make and share this Crab Cakes recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 4 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves (flat-leafed)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 lbs lump crabmeat, picked over
- 2 cups fine fresh breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- tarragon tartar sauce, as an accompaniment/ recipe posted separately
- lemon wedge, as an accompaniment
- In a bowl whisk together the butter, the eggs, the sour cream, the parsley, the lemon juice, the Worcestershire sauce, the paprika, the salt, and the cayenne and stir in the crab meat and the bread crumbs gently.
- Form 1/2-cup measures of the mixture into twelve 3/4-inch-thick cakes and transfer the crab cakes as they are formed to a baking sheet sprinkled with half the cornmeal.
- Sprinkle the crab cakes with the remaining cornmeal and chill them, covered with plastic wrap, for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- In a large heavy skillet heat the oil over moderately high heat until it is hot but not smoking and in it sauti the crab cakes in batches, turning them once, for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until they are golden, transferring them as they are cooked to paper towels to drain.
- Keep the crab cakes warm on another baking sheet in a 200 degree oven.
- Serve the crab cakes with the tarragon tartar sauce and the lemon wedges.
These were very good. I didn't add the cornmeal but they still tasted great. The flavors were perfect.
I'm sorry but my family didn't like this one. The cornmeal made it stay together well, but gave it a cornbread flavor. Maybe I did something wrong.
I made these for lunch today and they are excellent! I was looking for something a little different from the usual crab cake recipe and this fit the bill. I halved the recipe and it made 7 large cakes. Otherwise, I made as posted. I served with tartar sauce. Thank you for posting a great recipe!