Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was adapted from one on the Epicureous.com cooking site. It does not produce the ususal 'Old Bay' or bready type crab cake, but instead, allows the crab to be the focus.
- 907.18 g backfin crab meat
- 473.18 ml fresh breadcrumbs
- 4 large eggs
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 4.92 ml Dijon mustard
- 19.71 ml lemon juice
- 19.71 ml dried tarragon
- 19.71 ml onions, grated
- salt and black pepper
- 236.59 ml panko breadcrumbs (Panko are Janpanese breadcrumbs)
- 709.77 ml panko breadcrumbs, for coating (Panko are Janpanese breadcrumbs)
- 29.57 ml unsalted butter
- In bowl, combine crab meat, breadcrumbs, an 1 cup panko.
- In small bowl, whisk eggs well and add cream, whisking.
- Add cream mixture, mustard, lemon juice, tarragon, onion, and salt/pepper to crab mixture and combine well.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of butter over moderate heat until foam subsides.
- Take mounded tablespoon full of crab mixture in hand, and pat panko onto the crab cake to coat (don't try to dip it in the panko as the cake will fall apart).
- Drop cake into pan and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes; until deep golden.
- Carefully turn over and cook 2 to 3 minutes more.
- The cakes may be cooked a few hours ahead.
- Place on a cookie sheet and cover.
- When ready to serve, reheat in 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
Holy Yum! I left out the onion (b/c I'm preggers) and used unsweetened almond milk instead of cream, and these were amazing. (Oh I also used only Panko, instead of regular bread crumbs plus Panko. I also didn't do the extra coating of Panko on the outside b/c I thought they had enough inside.) They had a "sweet" flavor even though no ingredients were sweet...just amazing. I made a little lemon-white wine-butter sauce for dipping and it added a nice extra citrus flavor. I highly recommend these--I'll be making them again!!
Not bad at all. I love the panko bread crumbs, gives it a better texture. I add 1 Tlbs. Cayenne to give it a kick!
i tried it it was fantastic you dont get the breadyness you uget crab, so great . I addedd tyme and it was wonderful. I did broil them for 5 min with olive oil on the bottem of the pan.