This recipe was adapted from one on the Epicureous.com cooking site. It does not produce the ususal 'Old Bay' or bready type crab cake, but instead, allows the crab to be the focus.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs backfin crab meat
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 4 teaspoons onions, grated
- salt and black pepper
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (Panko are Janpanese breadcrumbs)
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs, for coating (Panko are Janpanese breadcrumbs)
- 6 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1In bowl, combine crab meat, breadcrumbs, an 1 cup panko.
- 2In small bowl, whisk eggs well and add cream, whisking.
- 3Add cream mixture, mustard, lemon juice, tarragon, onion, and salt/pepper to crab mixture and combine well.
- 4In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of butter over moderate heat until foam subsides.
- 5Take mounded tablespoon full of crab mixture in hand, and pat panko onto the crab cake to coat (don't try to dip it in the panko as the cake will fall apart).
- 6Drop cake into pan and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes; until deep golden.
- 7Carefully turn over and cook 2 to 3 minutes more.
- 8The cakes may be cooked a few hours ahead.
- 9Place on a cookie sheet and cover.
- 10When ready to serve, reheat in 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crab Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (2076 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.4
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 131.4 mg
- Sodium 560.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 20.2 g