Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
The Barefoot Contessa gets all the credit for these.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup small diced red onion (1 small onion)
- 1 1⁄2 cups small diced celery (4 stalks)
- 1⁄2 cup small diced red bell pepper (1 small pepper)
- 1⁄2 cup small diced yellow bell pepper (1 small pepper)
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (recommended -- Tabasco)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crab boil seasoning (recommended -- Old Bay)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb lump crabmeat, drained and picked to remove shells
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup good mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten for frying
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Place the 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons oil, onion, celery, red and yellow bell peppers, parsley, capers, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, crab boil seasoning, salt, and pepper in a large saute pan over medium-low heat and cook until the vegetables are soft, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, break the lump crabmeat into small pieces and toss with the bread crumbs, mayonnaise, mustard, and eggs.
- Add the cooked mixture and mix well.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Shape into bite-sized crab cakes.
- Heat the butter and olive oil for frying over medium heat in a large saute pan.
- Add the crab cakes and fry for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until browned.
- Drain on paper towels; keep them warm in a 250 degree oven and serve hot.