Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very easy recipe...my family loves it and requests it often...good cold weather food...great with crusty fresh bread...I often cook this without the recipe...I use my tastebuds when adding the sherry and sometimes add more or less flour depending on how thick I want the soup...Hope you all enjoy it as much as my family and I do!
- 8 ounces crabmeat (2 cans or 2 pouches, sold near the tuna at your grocery- just a guess on the onces)
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 16 ounces condensed chicken broth (or half a 32ounce container)
- 2 -4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped fine)
- 3⁄4 cup sherry wine (or cooking sherry)
- 3 cups light cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and pepper (optional)
- In large sauce pan, medium to high heat, sauté onion in butter until onion is soft.
- Stir in flour.
- Cook until bubbly.
- Stir in chicken broth , cook until all is melted together and there are no lumps.
- Let thicken -- boil for about one minute. Stir in sherry and crab with juices.
- Blend in cream.
- Whisk in tomato paste and season to taste. Heat slowly on low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Serve hot with crusty bread.
Good recipe but definitely needed some spice. I used 2 Tbs. butter for the onions, used 1/3 cup flour which gives a nice thickness and
1/2 tsp ground red pepper, 1/4 tsp seafood seasoning (Chesapeake Bay)
and a dash of paprika. Thanks so much.