Prep 12 mins
Cook 2 mins
Lovely dish with the addition of carrot, celery and red bell peppers for color and taste. Serve with crusty French Bread or as suggested below in Variation. Make a delicious lunch or first course.
- 2 tablespoons minced carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh lump crabmeat, picked over
- fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat broiler.
- In a small heavy saucepan cook carrot, celery, and bell pepper in butter over moderate heat, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add broth, wine, and tarragon and boil mixture until liquid is reduced to about 1 tablespoon.
- Add cream, ¼ cup Parmesan, and boil sauce until thickened, 1- 2 minutes.
- Stir in crab meat, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste and divide mixture between two 1-cup shallow baking dishes.
- Sprinkle remaining Parmesan over mixture and set dishes in shallow baking pan.
- Broil gratin about 4” from heat 2 minutes, or until bubbling and golden, and serve with toasts.
- Serve with thinly sliced French bread, lightly toasted.
- Variation: Using Portabello Mushrooms: Remove gills and broil (gill side down) about 2 minutes. With gill side up fill with mixture and return to broiler until golden on top.
Just what I was looking for! I used whole milk instead of cream because it's what I had, and it turned out nicely - with cream I'm sure it would have been even better. This was easier than I expected and turned out really well. Served with toasted baguette slices and a nice white wine - it was a hit!
I used the mushroom variation with this wonderful dish. It is so quick to make and oh so delicious. Not having a red bell pepper, I tossed in a green bell pepper along with a couple of sun dried tomatoes. I served this with recipe #249718 for a very satisfying dinner.