Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Nice dish when you are having people over for dinner.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 12 ounces crabmeat
- 1 cup cracker, finely crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, finely grated
- Crumble crackers between waxed paper with a rolling pin. Reserve just enough crumbs and cheese to top the casserole.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large heavy skillet.
- Add onion and saut for about 5 minutes or until golden.
- Slowly add flour, stirring constantly over low heat.
- When flour is blended, gradually add hot milk (scalded) and blend with a whip.
- Continue stirring over low heat until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Add salt, pepper, and sherry, and continue stirring in a bowl.
- Mix crab meat, sauce, and the extra cracker crumbs and cheese.
- Place in a lightly greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle reserved cracker crumbs and cheese on the top of the casserole.
- Dot the top with the remaining 4 tablespoons butter.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for about 15 minutes or until the top is golden brown.