Recipe by Kozmic Blues
If your a fan of egg rolls like I am, give these a try. The asparaus gives them a nice crunch, and the crab meat mixed with the garlic and ginger gives the filling something extra special. The dipping sauces are fun. Beware of the peanut sauce, it's really HOT.
Top Review by Rita~
This is Absolutely Fabulous! I haven`t made eggrolls in like 25 years! Fun to make as well to eat. They did disappear fast with lots of Oohs and Aahs! I added baby shrimp to it as well.
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 4 carrots, julienned
- 10 -12 asparagus spears, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 3 -4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- 2 inches ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced or grated
- 2 -4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- freshly ground white pepper
- 20 -25 egg roll wraps
- canola oil, for frying
Sweet Soy Dipping Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup fish stock or 3⁄4 cup shrimp stock or 3⁄4 cup vegetable stock (your choice)
- 1⁄4 cup dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons lemons, zest of
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, to taste
My Version of Duck Sauce
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 3 -4 tablespoons yellow mustard (can add ½ yellow and ½ Dijon or spicy honey mustard your choice)
Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 1 cup unsalted peanuts
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons red chili paste (I like sambal)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- chopped peanuts, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- For egg rolls: Heat 1 tbsp canola oil in wok or sauté pan over medium high heat.
- Add ginger and garlic, toss in oil.
- Sauté cabbage, carrots and asparagus for 1-2 minutes, to heat through.
- Add soy sauce, sesame oil and sauté for one minute more.
- Lower heat to medium and fold in crab meat and scallions.
- Add white pepper to taste.
- Keep over heat to warm through.
- Remove from heat, and let filling cool.
- Place egg roll wrapper in front of you, point down.
- Place about 3 tbsp of filling towards the lower half.
- Roll the bottom up, and the sides in, like an envelope.
- Fold over and seal the end of the egg roll with a bit of water to keep closed.
- Repeat until all egg roll wrappers are filled.
- Heat canola oil in wok or deep frying pan.
- I fry four egg rolls at a time and use just enough oil to cover the egg rolls about ½ to ¾ of the way over.
- Heat oil over medium high heat, to about 350 degrees, and fry egg rolls until golden brown on each side.
- Remove from oil and place on metal wrack or paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Serve with your choice of dipping sauces.
- For sweet soy dipping sauce: Combine all ingredients and stir to dissolve sugar.
- Allow to sit for at least one hour.
- Can be stored covered in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- For duck sauce: Combine mustard and apricot preserves.
- Ready to serve.
- For peanut sauce: Blend peanuts, soy sauce, chili paste, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, and lime juice until mixed thoroughly, into a paste.
- Add as much as hot water is needed until sauce is at desired consistency, thinner or thick, depending on taste.
- Garnish with peanuts.