Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
Golden crisp rolls of crab and sweetcorn with a chili caramel dip make a sensational snack or appetizer.
For the spring rolls
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 8 ounces white crab meat
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup creme fraiche
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 3 ounces canned sweetcorn
- 12 spring roll wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 pinch salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pint vegetable oil, for deep-frying
For the dipping sauce
- 3 ounces superfine sugar
- 2 red chilies
- 2 egg tomatoes
- 8 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 stalks lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1 ounce fresh gingerroot, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 shallots, peeled
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons clear honey
- 3 limes, juice and zest of
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the shallots and garlic until softened but not browned.
- Leave to cool slightly and transfer to a bowl. Add the crab, coriander, crème fraiche, lime and sweetcorn and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Fill the spring roll wrappers with the mixture, roll up and secure with the beaten egg.
- Place the sugar in a saucepan over a medium heat and allow it to dissolve. Continue to cook until the sugar turns a rich dark caramel colour.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining ingredients for the dipping sauce into a blender and whiz to create a purée.
- Pour this carefully into the caramelised sugar. Bring to the boil and cook for about five minutes, simmering gently.
- Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer and fry the spring rolls until crisp and golden. Drain and serve with the chilli dipping sauce.